Thursday 5 June 2014

Review: Heart-Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne

This is an intriguing story, revealed in the form of a hidden notebook found in the psychiatric wing of a young offenders institute. It has been written by Emily 'Krazy' Koll, the daughter of a notorious London gangster, who has been incarcerated for an act of violent revenge. Clue #1 "Don't believe everything you read".  Quite what that act is is not revealed until the very end of the novel, and believe me, you will turn those pages quickly to find out!

However, be warned - an unhinged 17 year old girl is definitely not a reliable narrator - how much of what Emily writes is true? She's been living a double life and I think this has definitely taken it's toll on her and how she remembers the events that are unfolded in the pages of her notebook. Clue #2 who's writing in the notebook?

Emily knows nothing of her dad's criminal activities, until he murders the policeman leading an investigation on him, and the policeman's daughter - Juliet Shaw - stabs Emily's father in self defence.  Then, her whole world falls apart: has her entire life been a lie? What happened to her mother? Bent on revenge, Emily sets out to unpick Juliet's 'perfect' life, one thread at a time until there is nothing left. Clue #3 pay attention to things that go missing.

I have a theory about what really happens in this story, but for now, I'm going to keep that to myself... If you read this book, then we can talk. This was an engrossing read, and Byrne expertly keeps you guessing right up until the end (and beyond!)

"You want to know what happened, why I did it. That's why you're reading this, right?" 

'Yes!' I screamed in my head, 'YES!'. I'm hoping that when Tanya Byrne is at YALC I'll be able to try out my theory on her and get some answers! In the meantime, you should totally read this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment