Wednesday 5 February 2014

First steps

As planned, today, I went for my first run. I use the term lightly. As I've done before, I'm following the NHS Couch to 5k programme, which is really good at gradually building you up to running a well-paced 5k over a period of 9 weeks (you can download the podcasts here).

This is what my run looked like - a 5 minute warm-up walk, 8 sets of 1 minute jogging; 90 seconds brisk walking, and then a 5(ish) minute cool-down walk. Apparently this stop-starting is good at building stamina, and having completed the course before, I know it must work, as I was easily going for 45 minute - hour long runs on a regular basis by the end of it. Bring. It. On.


Today's 'run' was made slightly more challenging by the amber weather warning gale force winds and rain. Initially, this seemed like another good reason to put off running (again), but thanks to this blog, I was a bit more determined to get out there. On the plus side... In these conditions, there are less spectators. Or at least I couldn't see them through the rain and windswept hair!

One last thing. This 9 week programme is all well and good, but I have a charity 5k to run on the 7th March. Dressed as a Wally. Hmmm. Lots of staff from my school are all doing this to raise money for the National Literacy Trust, so yet more motivation to step things up. #LiteracyWontWait !

No comments:

Post a Comment